Saturday, July 21, 2007

Blackout...?

Came back to Miri. It was good to be back.
(Photo from Miri Council)

Well first things first...went to unload all my foods and clothings to humble bungalow. Once got all the foods in the fridge, next on the 'to do' list needed to pay for my internet bill. Driving in town... noticed that most of the shops were all dark, and people were waiting outside the shops. I didn't take note of this. Anyway, went to TMnet building to pay off the bill. That was done and over with. Next on the list was to get credit for my phone... Parkson came to mind (Imperial was closer then Parkson but I had a personal preference for Parkson)...also I could buy some drinks, and check out what was showing in the only cineplex in the whole of Miri for home, kill two birds with a stone.
Got to Parkson and there was a lot of parking spots free, that unusual especially at lunch time,got a great parking spot right in from of the main entrance. I was wondering why was there a lot of people standing out side and how come the inside was all dark? Opening the glass door a waft of warm moist with sweat air brushed pass me... *OMG!* The whole of Parkson was with out electricity...only a few lights were on (generator powered I assume), lots of shop sales girls and attendance were waiting by the front of their shop fanning them self with anything that was light, flat and fan-able.... A BLACK OUT....
(Not actual paper...just for illustration purposes)
wow... I found out later that Parkson or Bintang Plaza was not the only shopping complex that suffered...the black out streached as far from the town itself till Boulevard shopping complex...that some distance.
(Eeks forgot where i got this photo, sorry)
Isn't Miri a City now... and black outs do not happen in cities? Well apparently I found out later that there was a power transformer for the Miri City grid that was faulty... and the council decided to fix it then rather then in the evening...for security reasons, which i believe was a sound and logical action to take. None the less, not knowing that they were replacing the faulty transformer does raise question for those that was out of the country for a long while or that was visiting Miri for the first time... well on the way home I was thinking, is the whole of Miri effected? O SHIT! what about my home...my pc was still on and downloading ... stuffs...damn! Got back in a rush...thank goodness that there was still power at senadi area... he he he.

Later on the evening...I went out for dinner with a close friend at Siamese Secrets in town. A really nice place to bring a date, anyway...we were there having dinner a chatting about all sorts of topics when a flash of lightning lighted the sky and a few second later thunder followed ,thunder that rumbled through the ground even shaking our drinks on the table. Wow this was cool... natures own show with audio...

Well after the dinner, we headed back to Senadin, only to find the 1 phase of that area in complete darkness. Was this just like this morning (not knowing that the electric transformer was being replaced)? I hope that my house is not affected... As we made our way towards the second phase of Senadin we saw lights...a glimmer of hope...and to our delight our area was not effected.

Apparently what caused the blackout at Senadin was the lightning earlier that had struck one of the electric hub for phase one in Senadin.

As my friend said so eloquently as we saw our area had lights...
"We are too dependent on electricity!"


No comments: